All of us at Montgomery Foot Care Specialists in Montgomery County, Alabama invite you to celebrate Family Health and Fitness Day on Sunday, September 29, 2019. You, your significant other, your kids, and your extended families can participate! Family Health and Fitness Day encourages you to work with the ones you love to improve each other’s health and fitness. Here are three ways to get it done:
- Resolve to eat better.
– Choose to eat whole foods rather than processed ones. For example, don’t microwave a pre-measured packet of rice whose list of ingredients includes fillers and preservatives you can’t pronounce. Cook plain, brown rice instead.
– If you crave sugar, pledge to grab a piece of fresh fruit instead of a candy bar.
– Control your portions and food choices by bringing your lunch to work.
– Avoid eating at fast-food restaurants.
– Limit alcoholic beverages and drink plenty of water.
- Move together.
Make a pact with your spouse and/or children to get some regular exercise. Pick an activity you know you can all stick with, such as walking the neighborhood or playing pickup basketball at the park. Make exercise a part of the family, preferably 30 minutes or more, 5 times per week!
- Quit smoking.
If there are smokers among you, decide to quit. Studies show that when you stop smoking, you greatly reduce your risk of heart disease after just two years. After 15 years, your risk is the same as someone who never smoked. Start today – and get professional help if you need it.
Staying healthy and fit also means making regular appointments with your primary care physician. You can prevent illnesses or catch them early by getting regular checkups. Regular foot checkups with our expert podiatrists, Dr. Heidi M. Christie, and Dr. Chanda L. Day-Houts, are imperative for anyone with diabetes. We also treat anyone with bunions, corns, neuromas, heel pain, or any other foot issue that makes it difficult for you to stay active.