We’ve heard the question tossed around a lot – “Are podiatrists M.D.s?” The answer is yes! Some people are under the impression that a foot doctor hasn’t been to medical school, but this is completely false. Podiatrists like Dr. Heidi M. Christie and Dr. Chanda L. Day-Houts are fully-qualified medical doctors who are specifically trained to treat all ailments of the foot.
Dr. Christie and Dr. Day Houts, the two podiatrists at Montgomery Foot Care Specialists, have both completed 4 years of undergraduate study, 4 years at a podiatric medical school, and 3 years of residency. They’ve been practicing podiatry for a combined 45 years.
Put their expertise to work
Our podiatrists can help you with many types of foot problems and we focus a lot on these in particular:
- Heel pain, also known as plantar fasciitis, often hangs on for months; we provide orthotics,braces, and exercises that can knock it out much sooner than if you treated it at home.
- Ingrown toenails can be persistent and are easily infected if not treated properly.
- Diabetic foot care, including wound care and special shoes for diabetics.
- Foot care for seniors– when your feet hurt, you’re at a higher risk for falling, which is especially true and dangerous for older Americans. Come in for a fall risk assessment.
- Fungal problems– we treat infected nails with laser therapy and have prescription medications for severe cases of athlete’s foot.
Consider getting preventative foot care
One last thought: If you’ve got a family history of foot issues such as bunions or flat feet, consider adding “podiatrist” to your list of annual check-ups. Include your kids in those visits, too. Preventative care of your feet can help you and your kids avoid problems later on in life. In addition, a thorough examination of your feet can bring other health issues to light, including diseases like diabetes and osteoporosis. We may even discover that it’s a footproblem that’s actually causing your nagging back pain.
We encourage anyone in the river region to make an appointment with us whenever you have concerns about your feet. We offer the newest technology in digital x-rays and state-of-the-art ultrasound to help us get to the root of your problem quickly and efficiently. Give us a call at (334) 396-3668 or click here to contact us online.