Taking dry, cracked heels out of their sock-and-shoe caves and putting them into summertime sandals can be really hard to do. Cracked heels look bad and they feel even worse, making even everyday standing or walking quite painful. But damaged heels don’t have to be a source of pain and embarrassment. It’s possible to get them healthy and smooth in time for summer fun, say the expert podiatrists at Montgomery Foot Care Specialists.
Causes of Cracked Heels
Cracked heels, also known as heel fissures, are mainly due to a lack of moisture. Your skin is dry, and it needs help keeping moisture in. In wintertime, your skin lacks moisture because you sweat less and the natural oils in your skin are greatly decreased. In the summer, cracked heels can be the result of friction caused by the movement of your foot in your sandals or exposure to the air that can accelerate the evaporation of moisture in your skin.
There are a number of things you can try at home to improve the skin of your dry, cracked heels. Vigilance is key, though — you’ll get better results when you try something and stick with it, such as:
- Moisturizing creams – thicker is better. Use a moisturizer once or twice a day. At night, you can even add a sock, which will help to keep the moisture in.
- Proper footwear – wear a supportive shoe that covers the heel rather than a sandal that leaves it exposed.
- Over-the-counter shoe inserts can reduce the pressure and friction that causes cracks or makes them worse.
- Home remedies are not helping;
- The fissures are deep and wide;
- You see signs of infection such as redness or swelling; or,
- You are diabetic.
Heel fissures hurt – a lot – and when more than just superficial, they can be the source of nasty infections. Try a home remedy if you wish, but if they fail or if you have very deep cracks, call us at (334) 396-3668. A visit to Dr. Rosenberg or Dr. Christie at our office in Montgomery, AL can put you on a steady path from painful callused cracks to smooth, summer-worthy skin. Call the tri-county area’s foot experts today or make an appointment online