According to a study conducted by scientists at Guangzhou Dongsheng Hospital and Guangzhou Social Welfare House, acupuncture is an effective treatment for heel pain. Sixty-six patients with some developed form of heel pain were used as a part of the experiment directed by researcher Xu Xuemeng and his team. The control group was compromised of participants that were given experiment drugs and the rest of the patients were given a filiform acupuncture needle treatment.
Within six months, the participants that had received acupuncture had an effectiveness rating of 97% while the effectiveness rating of the control group was just 76%. Acupuncture has been especially effective for those suffering from Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis.
Heel pain can become troublesome and debilitating after time. If you are suffering from heel pain, see podiatrist Dr. Michael Rosenberg of Montgomery Foot Care Specialists. Dr. Rosenberg will attend to all of your foot and ankle needs and provide you with quality treatment.
Causes of Heel Pain
- Heel pain is often associated with plantar fasciitis. The plantar fascia is a band of tissues that extends along the bottom of the foot. A rip or tear in this ligament can cause inflammation of the tissue.
- Achilles tendonitis is another cause of heel pain. Inflammation of the Achilles tendon will cause pain from fractures and muscle tearing. Lack of flexibility is also another symptom.
- Heel spurs are another cause of pain. When the tissues of the plantar fascia undergo a great deal of stress, it can lead to ligament separation from the heel bone, causing heel spurs.
Why Might Heel Pain Occur?
- Wearing ill-fitting shoes
- Wearing non-supportive shoes
- Weight change
- Excessive running
Heel pain should be treated as soon as possible for immediate results. Keeping your feet in a stress free environment will help. If you suffer from Achilles tendonitis or plantar fasciitis, applying ice will reduce the swelling. Stretching before an exercise like running will help the muscles. Using all these tips will help make heel pain a thing of the past.
With the advancements in technology and greater knowledge of how muscles and joints work, physical therapists can turn things around dramatically.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Montgomery, AL. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle injuries.